Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Happy Birthday, Baby Boy

Every year, my son's birthday is a pretty big deal. It's not that he is more important to me than his sisters are; it's just that there was a time that we weren't sure we'd be getting to do things like celebrate his fourth birthday. I won't bore you with the details again (I've blogged about the situation on his previous two birthdays... you can read it here if you're curious: http://awannabesupermom.blogspot.com/2012/10/why-its-ok-when-bad-things-happen.html) but long story short, for the longest 10 days of my life, we weren't sure if he would survive whatever it was that attacked his brand new little body. I know that it is because God loves me and had many lessons to teach me through this little boy that my son is alive and healthy today. And this kid has kept me on my toes ever since.

My little boy is growing up and changing so quickly. On his first birthday, he couldn't eat his own birthday cake because he had some kind of gag reflex problem. He couldn't eat anything thicker than formula without gagging and puking. Turns out, it was all psychological. Kid was playin games from the start. He had a Gatorade addiction for a while. Which was my fault, but I paid for my mistake when I cut him off, cold turkey. Then, he went through a "phase" where any time we took him out in public, he insisted on throwing a fit. And by fit I mean psychotic meltdown... the kind where people consider calling the authorities on you. The kind where you wonder if your baby got switched in the hospital because there's no stinkin way that little booger shares your DNA. The kind where you plead with God for the second coming to happen. ASAP. It got to the point where we considered never leaving the house again. Ever. And as he got older, the fits changed and got easier in some ways but much worse in others. The pediatrician suggested counseling. I ended up evaluating and changing his diet which helped dramatically. Didn't fix the problem but holy cow did I learn about what a poor communicator I am in the process! Sometimes, a child's problems are as simple as your own. Sugar causes extreme reactions for him. But because I just panicked and over reacted instead of asking him what was wrong and being patient till he and I worked out the issue, it made most situations worse than they were. 

Then two thing happened around the same time that helped my awesome little boy shine. In mid July, baby number four was born. Then, my oldest started school a month later. When she started school, my son became the big kid of the house during the day. While I miss my oldest since I don't get to spend much time with her any more, I'm so thankful for the time to get to know Little Man better. With his older sister at school, he became my helper. He became my little assistant. And he took taking care of keeping the baby happy very seriously. 

Today was his birthday. Previous birthdays involved tears and general brattiness. This year was so awesome. For starters, I wasn't able to decorate with the theme he wanted. But he wouldn't stop telling me that it was ok and that he loved the Batman decorations. Then, he wouldn't stop hugging me and thanking me for "all my wonderful presents!" (he got less than previous years). And when I explained that we weren't doing a cake tonight since we were waiting for Daddy to come back from his trip later this week to do it but that I was going to come up with another desert for him., I expected his response to be tears and pouting and drama. Instead, his response was, "Well, that's ok Mom. Just put a candle on a pizza for me." Cracked me up and made me love him even more. 

I'm so incredibly thankful that God let me keep Little Man. I'm so thankful for the lessons in love and patience and communication, parenting, marriage and life that God has and is teaching me through this handsome little boy. I am so thankful that through all he and I have been through in these past four years, that our relationship is where it is. Don't get me wrong, we're not bffs. I'm the mom and he's my son, but there's no reason why our relationship has to be frustrating. I'm grateful for the boy God is shaping him into. He's a pretty cool kid. 

Just in case you read this someday, Happy Birthday, son of mine. You bring me joy and you have added to the value of my life. I have loved you every moment of every day since I found out about your existence and I will continue to love you every day for the rest of your life. 




1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday to you! Are you finding free birthday gifts and deals? Try it! It's totally Free! Bdayo.Com was created with one goal in mind to help our users enjoy, celebrate, and remember their birthday! Bdayo allows you to find unlimited amount of Birthday Freebies in your area and offer unique features to help you learn more about that special day!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget