Friday, July 20, 2012

Life as We Know It

Situations like the recent massacre in Colorado make me wonder what I was thinking by bringing kids into a screwed up world. I'm not trying to make light of the tragedy (my prayers go out for those poor people and their families) but it's not like this is the first time that evil has reared its ugly head. Evil has been working its slimy ways into the hearts of man since the beginning of the world. Thinking about all this, I found myself wondering how long the world was perfect. How long until Satan tempted Eve with the forbidden fruit? How long after that first week of creation did he wait to make his move? Did he wait until God rested on the 7th day because he was foolish and prideful enough to think that God wouldn't be looking because he was resting... waiting, like a coward, until he believed the Creator wasn't present. Or did he sit and study for a while? Watching, calculating, scheming, plotting...  I mean, maybe Adam and Eve were chillin for a while before they came face to face with evil itself. Shoot... Satan sure got Eve in woman's week spot. I wonder if the fruit was covered in chocolate...

My point is that evil always has been and always will be until God comes back, executing justice in a way that will put everything straight for the rest of eternity. I can not wait for that day. However, one of the first commands that God gave to Adam and Eve was to be fruitful and multiply. I'm not going to lie. As a wife who adores her husband and who loves her children, this is one of my favorite commands. "Prosper and have kids." Sounds good to me. So was it foolish of me to have kids, knowing that horrible things could happen to them? Was I wrong to bring babies into a world full of pain and tragedy? How could I have brought them into an existence that will be stricken with grief and heartache? Easy. God told me to. And on top of it, God now has three more beings that will grow in His love and glorify Him with their lives. Three more additions in the Kingdom of God. There is nothing wrong with adding to a family that will one day sit at His feet, at His throne, in worship and wonder.

God knew how things were going to turn out and He still commanded Adam and Eve to have kids. It was His design. And who am I to contend with that.

As I sit here typing away, my three children are roaming my office, touching things they shouldn't be touching, laughing and peering up at me over the edge of my desk asking if they can play with the rubber band ball and the box of staples... I have said "No" to both requests. But I do not regret bringing my children into this world. I enjoy them. God has blessed me so greatly through them. I am thankful that He commanded that man and wife come together and bring life into the world.

The best way I can think to protect my children from the pain and trials and evil running rampant in the world is to teach them of God's love, enrich their lives with His Word and to constantly pray for them. Always praying.

I don't mean to be so heavy this morning but sometimes, that's just life as we know it. Being aware of the other forces in this world help me appreciate God's power and glory all the more. And it helps me understand how to best prepare and equip my children.

Being a mother (or a father) is serious business. And we need to act accordingly.

2 comments:

  1. Ooohhh..this is sweet. I have teenagers and I cannot imagine a world without them in it. Yes, there is evil and sin in the world but you're right...we need to teach our kids of God's love and do as he commanded.

    Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget