Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"When I was a kid, we had to..."

"When I was a kid, we WALKED to school... in the SNOW!"


Ugh. I am one of THOSE moms. Actually, looking at it now, it's a little funny but just as ineffective on my own kids as it was with me. The other day, I started a sentence with, "When I was a kid..." and I've found that I've said it more than once.

A few nights ago, my kids didn't want to finish their dinner. They've been doing this for a while now but we've realized the problems with it and have been cracking down big time. Ironicaly, we (my husband and I) both ended up telling the kids the same thing that night, just at different moments, without realizing what the other had said. We both told the children that when we were kids, we would have either been forced to sit there and eat it until it was gone, no matter how long it took or we'd have to finish it for breakfast the next morning. I'm pretty sure my dad told me the same thing when I was a kid. Both kids just sat there and stared at me like I was an idiot. Funny how they're only 3 and 2 but have that look down perfectly already...

My son was throwing a fit one day and I said to him, "Shoot, if I'd acted like that as a kid, I'd have gotten my butt kicked."

A few other things we explained to the kids about "When we were younger..." are:

-There was NO desert if we didn't finish our dinner.
-We had to use our imaginations for entertainment.
-We didn't get treats for good behavior. It was just expected of us.
-If I kicked the back of OGPOG's (my dad) seat while he was driving, I'd have gotten chewed out.
-We had to work for our food, we had chores. (Which is kinda true... My parents didn't not feed me if I didn't do my chores. I got punished but not by being "starved"... I also don't think I really had chores at 3 years old but still... I said it to my kids...).
-We didn't tattle as much as you (our kids). We duked it out with our siblings to solve a problem.

Yeah. My kids are 3 1/2, 2 and 8 months. And we've said all that already. I can only imagine what else I'll be saying as they get older. Things like, "When I was a teenager, I had to buy my own car... My parents didn't give me one." or "When I liked a boy, he had to call my dad for permission to take me out on a date... and that was AFTER he'd already come over to the house several times to get acquainted with the family." or "When I was a teen, I had to get a job if I wanted spending money." Things like that. I KNOW I'm going to say them. My parents did. And I'm sure their parents did too. It's just how life goes.

I get a kick out of it though because I know that as soon as my kids learn how to roll their eyes (please, dear God, give me patience and lots of it when they start!), they'll be rolling away as soon as I say, "Well, when I was a kid, we had to..."

Maybe I should make things interesting and give my kids some topics for discussion with their OWN children one day.You know, give them something they'll be able to use on their kids. Something like, "When I was a kid, my mom used to make me wash and fold all my own laundry... starting at age 3..." or "You're lucky. When I was a kid, we had to clean up all the dog poop in the yard if we wanted a treat." (We have three dogs.) Yeah, that sounds good to me.

"Oh, KIIIIIDDDDSSSSS! Come here, please!" :)

1 comment:

  1. Lol! Oh that's so funny and I can totally relate. I can't count the number of times I've already told my 3 yr old and 6 yr old how lucky they are to not be growing up in the house I grew up in. My mom was a single mom and money was very tight. We didn't eat pre-packaged convenience foods. No chicken nuggets. Very little boxed macaroni and cheese. Treats were extremely rare. And when a meal was served, I either ate or went hungry. Snack were also never an option. Therefore I grew up eating fruits and vegetables, homemade breads and soups, and drinking lots and lots of milk. We simply couldn't afford apple juice.

    Now, for the eye roll dilemma. I've figured out the perfect solution to it. My six year old has already started it when she doesn't get her way about something and gets angry. So I've implemented a rule that anytime she rolls her eyes at a member of the family, she will be required to stop what she's doing right then and there and give that person a big hug and kiss and tell them she loves them. Haha!! At this age it's turning into laughter. But we'll see what happens when she's a teenager. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget