Monday, February 6, 2012

Second Chances at First Experiences (Monday Mommy Moments)

One of my favorite parts of being a mom is getting to see the world through a child's eyes all over again. I get to experience everything all over again.

This weekend, something small happened that I will probably never forget for the rest of my life but that my children have most likely already forgotten.

Down here in the south, things are staying, on average, in the low 60s right now. Sunday afternoon, it was probably closer to 70 and we had a ton of bugs crawling out of... actually, I have no idea where bugs go in the winter. Maybe I should look into that... Anyway, there were a bunch of lady bugs all over our back patio.

My daughter's hands holding her precious new friend.
My daughter, who will be 4 in June, has decided that ladybugs are "nice bugs". I don't know where or when she decided this but that's of no matter. When I noticed them all over the place on Sunday, I pointed them out to her. I then let one crawl on my finger and then transferred it to her open, shaking hand. "Oooo" and "Ahhh" from a 3 year old is fantastic. The wonder and the excitement of a red spotted bug crawling on her skin. My 2 year old son realized what was happening and wanted a ladybug of his own. So I found one for him and transferred it to his hand just like I had done for my daughter. You know those deep, happy laughs that seem to come from the depth of your child's being? That's how these two were laughing. Then, when both of their ladybugs took off in flight, the delighted squeals and open mouthed grins they produced set me to giggling.

It is honestly one of the most beautiful things I've ever witnessed. Two kids getting so much enjoyment and excitement out of holding a cute little bug and feel it tickle them while it crawls on their skin. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

I remember similar things like the first time we took them to the beach. Or the first time they swung on a swing (which was a first for my 7 month old only a few days ago). My sons bizarre love of bubbles. The way my oldest gets impatient while waiting 7 whole days to pass so she can go back to AWANAs. The baby's reaction to tasting new foods. Taking them to the zoo for the first time. All of it.

It's a second chance and I love it. Experiencing things all over again, things I have taken for granted for YEARS, decades even (eww... did I just say that?). The world through the eyes of my babies.





Link up if you're interested in joining the Monday Mommy Moments blog hop! It's fun, I promise :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget