Monday, February 13, 2012

Mommy Moments with a Mommy Brain

Before I had kids, I had a pretty good memory. I would remember faces, names, silly details, appointments, anything and everything. I wrote things down just for the sake of writing them down. Now, I write things down but can't remember where I put the paper that I wrote on.

I have "mommy brain" all the time these days. Here are just a few of the "mommy brain moments" that I've had since having kids:

I forget to put my deodorant on all the time. I mean ALL the time. I may not being going through puberty any more but whoa, can I work up a random sweat and stink pretty bad. The last time it happened, I was at church. I was wearing my favorite dress and had gotten my hair perfect and I was satisfied with how well the morning went with the kids. As soon as I sat down and took my coat off, I realized how terrible I smelled. It figures that that would be the Sunday that people sat next to me in church. I did my best to give those weird little half hugs during the "meet and greet" part of the service. As soon as service was over, I put my coat back on and buttoned it up and tied it tight. I still had to sit through Sunday school and I was praying the whole time that no one noticed my B.O.

Another Sunday, I was packing the diaper bag for the baby and some how managed to put the diapers in my purse and the maxi pads in the diaper bag. Thank goodness I realized that one only about 2 minutes after dropping the baby off in the nursery... and before she needed her diaper changed. THAT'D have been awkward!

You know those wonderful grocery store cards that you get to swipe at the counter and then find out how much you saved using it? I have one that's the same color as one of my debit cards. Well, it's not the same color but for some reason, I kept seeing the yellow and red on it and was determined in my mind that it was orange. I went to use it at a drive through ATM at my bank and for the longest time, sitting through rejection after rejection, couldn't figure out what was wrong. I was frustrated to the point of tears. Then I sat and looked at the card for a second only to discover that I was in fact trying to shove my grocery card into the ATM.

Years ago, my car needed some work done on it and the dealership gave me a "loaner" until they were able to fix my car. The car was already started for me when I hopped in, having gotten the baby's car seat all hooked up. I had to run some errands before heading home so off I went. After coming out of the first store, I realized that the car didn't have a normal key. Unlocking it was simple enough. There was a symbol on the key for that one. Starting the car was a whole new thing though. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to turn it on. I panicked. I called my husband crying (yeah, I do that a lot) and he lovingly and patiently explained that all I had to do was put the "key" in the little box above the large button that said "Engine On". Sometimes, my "mommy brain" prevents me from seeing the obvious.

I have worn different socks, walked around out in public with oatmeal on my butt and food in my hair. I have put make up on only one eye and have, for several days, forgotten that I'd thrown a load in the wash but never put it in the dryer. I have set food and drinks on the roof of my car before loading the kids in just to realize by the time I got home that I never put them into the car. This afternoon, while making lunch for the kids, I drained the water out of the tuna can into the bowl and walked over to the sink to dump the actual tuna into the sink. Thankfully, I caught myself right before I actually did it. On more than one occasion, I'll be in the middle of doing something, not even thinking about what I'm doing and I'll look up to see my husband standing there staring at me funny right before he asks, "What in the world are you doing?" I'll look down to find myself doing something really strange and be amazed that my hands seem to have minds of their own.

Hopefully, this will get better with age... or maybe when my kids are all finally out of the house and not consuming every free brain cell I have. Perhaps, I am subject to "mommy brain" for the rest of my life. I don't mind that idea so much... as long as I eventually remember to wear deodorant. Yes, I DID just check to see if I was actually wearing any right now.

I LOVE comments so please, feel free to share some of your own "Mommy Moments" and if you're a fellow blogger, join the "Monday Mommy Moments" blog hop!!

3 comments:

  1. I remember taking you and Jessie to school one day and when I got ready to make the right off Rte 5 onto Mattawomen Beantown Rd, I looked over and there you were sitting in the seat next to me, realizing I forgot to drop you off. Glad I noticed before I drove the 20 miles to work. I remember saying, "what are you doing here. " you looked at me like I had 3 heads. Needless to say, I was late for work that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it gets better with age, or even when the kids grow up. I still have it. It's just about being busy, and your brain gets overloaded I think. Oh well, right! I love the diapers for pads swap...funny:)
    Congrats on being a featured vb member!
    Courtney
    http://www.club-content.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! Abby you seriously need to write a book. You're like the next generation Erma Bombeck with your stories.

    My funny...or not so funny...story was when I had my first daughter, Faith. I was so freaked out to bring her home from the hospital because there weren't any nurses around to show me what to do or make sure she was okay. I honestly thought I'd somehow accidentally kill her. Well...a few weeks after bringing her home, I was settling into a routine, but was totally exhausted. We went out to a breastfeeding support group meeting at the hospital. While in the meeting I had her in the infant carseat/carrier inside with me. She was unbuckled since we weren't in the car and she had fallen asleep. Well, wouldn't you know it, the meeting ended, I pulled the car seat handle up to carry her out the car, locked the seat into place (rear facing), got in the drivers seat, buckled up, and drove the I-15 Freeway at 75 miles per hour for the 10 mile drive home. When I got home, I got out of the drivers seat, opened the back door to get the infant car seat out and saw that my precious bundle of joy was sitting there UNBUCKLED the entire time. I broke into tears and hugged her nonstop the rest of the day. I'm certain I said several prayers of gratitude that God had gotten us home safely and without incident. Talk about being horrified in my mothering abilities! Lol! What's worse is the amount of times I've gone to back out of a parking spot since then when that same daughter will say, "um, mom...I'm not buckled yet." I guess I need to slow down.

    Hugs,
    ~Rosann

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget