Sunday, February 26, 2012

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"

Man oh man. I don't know how my parents survived having me for a daughter... or how they survived having two daughters. And I don't know how I'm going to survive having two daughters of my own.

When I was little, I was a bit of an airhead, a ditz, a klutz and a constant rattler. I pushed my sister's buttons (still do) and just straight up talked too much.

When I was still in elementary school, I began doing things that if I did them today, would land me in jail.

Middle school... Ugh. I don't even want to think about having to "go through" middle school again with my daughters. I wasn't the greatest kid then either. I did some really stupid, really bad things that hurt a lot of people.

Then came high school and the dating. I didn't do too terrible as far as grades go, and I was the editor of the school paper for years, National Honor Society President for two years, played varsity basketball, and somehow (and I'm still a bit thrown about this one) was senior class president. But the boys... My parents should have never let me out of the house. I mean, I can't say that it was a whole lot different from most people but still...

And then came college. I wasn't terrible here either. I mean, I didn't study the way I should but at first, when I broke school rules, it was all kinda passive aggressive. Most people would laugh at my "rule breaking" but I went to a fairly strict Christian college. Lots of rules. Lots of broken rules. Anyway, my rebellious streak just kept going and I eventually dropped out.

After that, I went crazy. Just did what I wanted when I wanted. And none of it was productive.

I'm bringing this up because my three year old daughter very recently said to me, "I don't like quiet music, Mommy. I'm Rock and Roll." She likes "daddy's car because it's faster than mommy's." She likes heels and pretty dresses and thinks Jake from Disney's Never Land Pirates is handsome. I mean, she'll tell me that boys are yucky but how long till she stops thinking that? I'm in so much trouble if she's even a little bit like me. Actually, it downright scares me.

I'm all about enjoying your youth and having fun but I know that in spite of sound Christian parenting, a child has the will to take whatever path they choose. My parents were/are good Christian, God-loving people. I still chose to live like a... well, I was out of control. It makes me nervous to think that my own daughters could very well choose the same lifestyle, or worse, than I did.

While it's kinda cute that my daughter said she likes loud music and that she likes rock and roll, it still is something that I'm going to have to be on high alert about. Lots and LOTS of praying. And strong suggestions about Christian rock and roll. And chains on all the doors, a chastity belt and guard dogs. And NO BOYS! And then some more prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget