Monday, January 9, 2012

You Know You're a Parent When...

There have been many times when my husband and I are dealing with the kids and something happens that makes us go, "Yup. We're parents." Some of those moments have been tough ones and some have been really funny ones.

I thought it would be fun to ask some of my friends and family to finish the sentence, "You know you're a parent when..." and see what they came up with.

Here are some of their responses and a few of my own:

You Know You're A Parent When:


-your child has a massive diaper blowout in their high chair during dinner and you clean it up, wash your hands and continue eating like you didn't just clean up some of the nastiest poop ever.

-you hear a kid scream that some one puked on the indoor playground at the mall and you quickly grab your child and high tail it out of there because you know it was yours.

-you change the things you used to think were ok into things that should be forbidden.

-you answer every request with "who, what, when and where?"

-you're in a public place in a tropical island with your hubby about a 10 hour plane ride away from your children who are with your parents and every time you hear a baby cry, you freak out looking to see where you kid is.

-you can't sleep unless there's a baby monitor on in your room.

-you haven't showered for 5 days.

-you used to have hair.

-there are only two of your favorite cookies left in the box and you give them to your children instead of eating them yourself.

-you can clean up vomit and not want to vomit yourself.

-your home has been transformed into a toy factory.

-you can name all the characters in all the shows on Nickelodeon and actually like a few of the shows.

-the twenty in your wallet is gone and you can't find your car keys.

-you touch poop with your bare hands and it's not THAT terrible.

-you find a bulb syringe and a spatula mixed in with the shoes in your closet.

-you go shopping and you find yourself buying toys even when you can't really afford them.

-your idea of shopping changes from buying the hottest new pair of stilettos to buying the coolest

-your "purse" is now a diaper bag.

-there are toys in every cabinet in the kitchen, every desk drawer in the office and in every shower in the house.

-the only kind of cart you can use at the grocery store has a car attached to it.

-you have more Disney movies than grown up movies on the shelf.

-your idea of partying all night consists of 2 redbox movies and a bag of redvines.

-you have to budget "babysitter money" when planning a date with your spouse.

-your idea of success is completing dinner with out most of it ending up on the floor.

-you find yourself humming "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" in the shower.

-you cry when your baby is sick.

-you go out on a date with your spouse and all you can talk about is the kids.

-your idea of great artwork is hanging on your refrigerator being held up by an alphabet magnet.

-you go out to the movies with your spouse and find that the movies stinks and you wish you were at home watching cartoons with your kids instead.

-you find tiny socks in your gym bag, your lunch box, and in your pant leg... while you're wearing them.

-you know that for the rest of your life, you will always be happiest when your children are at home enjoying each other's company, no matter how old they are or you are.


I know that there are a lot more of these moments out there. Feel free to finish the sentence yourself and post it in the comment box.

13 comments:

  1. This was cute!
    Some of these are so true of us. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. - you use your own shirt to wipe snot from a little nose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After 4 kids, I still can't clean up vomit without doing it myself

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are all so true. My biggest change is just how willing I am to be covered in something disgusting. Well, not 'willing' exactly, but I don't freak out and run for the shower like I would have pre-kid.

    I'm your newest follower! Here from voiceBoks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL this is a great list. Some of those things I still struggle with though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally relate! Sometimes I feel I can't live without my daughter and her Disney movies :)

    Congrats on being a featured vB member :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously...you should see my purse. It's a beautiful black Thirty-One brand bag. I bought it for the specific purpose of being able to carry my wallet and a spare set of clothes, wipes, pull-ups, etc...for my little one. I get more flack about that bag when we're out and about. My friends always tease me. But it works! One bag for everything.

    -You know you're a parent when the floor of your house and your car become a convenient trash can for juice box straw wrappers, empty snack bags, random fruit gummies, and fast food restaurant toys.

    -when your shampoo bottle has more water inside than actual shampoo.

    -when you find yourself cleaning up poop off the floor a foot away from the potty because an adorable child decided to be independent and wipe all by herself.

    -when you rush into the kitchen to find out what the shreaking crying is all about, and see your child standing there holding her "artwork" she dug out of the trash can

    -when a hand drawn portrait of you reveals the honest truth about the size of your bottom (or chest) and shows your "mommy hair" sticking straight up - all over your head.

    -when the words "I wuv you" absolutely melt your heart and transform you into the protective mama bear that would take out anyone who would ever think of hurting her cub.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just thought of this one this morning...
    You know you're a parent when you stick your finger up a nose that isn't yours.

    Loved these! Following now from Voiceboks!

    thecupcakeinmybelly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know you're a parent when all your shopping money goes to kids clothing.....and you're fine wearing sweats.

    Fun post. New follower from VB.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about this one? You know you're a parent when your kids ask you to watch your grandkids over night so they can go out and have a good time!
    Congrats on being a Featured Member of vB!!
    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many of these on he list ring true! However, I can't clean up puke and not want to puke myself. For me, I know I'm a parent when I can be in a crowded room and hear a kid say "Mommy!" and KNOW whether it's my kid or not.

    Congrats on being a vB Featured Member!
    Gina
    www.totallyfullofit.com

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget