Thursday, December 15, 2011

A White Christmas and a Little About How I Feel About Men and Women

As I sit here writing this, I'm watching my all time favorite Christmas movie, A White Christmas. I just absolutely love this movie and just have to watch it every year.

This movie appeals to all my "senses". I'm a hopeless romantic so I enjoy the love story in it. I LOVE the singing. I wish people sang like that these days. Nowadays, music is... too much. There's just too much going on in the songs. These songs are simple and beautiful. I love the dancing. Isn't it funny that back in the day you HAD to be able to sing and dance and act in order to be in show business? I really don't think that any of those are really prerequisites any more. I love the story line and how they try to bring some help and hope to the general and how they surprise him with a gift that honors, respects him and helps restore his feeling of self worth. I ADORE the dresses. Oh man. In all honesty, I wish women dressed like this today. They're beautiful and they're modest!

This kills me about today. I wont say that I'm not guilty of sometimes wearing things that reveal too much. But I can go to the mall during the summer and see just about as much clothing on some of these girls (and women) as I would if I went to the beach. Tight and skimpy is glorified! And girls today wonder why they can't get guys to take them seriously and respect them. The women in this movie are wearing outfits that flatter their figures but seriously, they're wearing clothing! I mean, their dresses are mid shin length and many show almost no, if any, chest skin. They carry themselves  with poise and elegance. I've often wondered why men aren't really romantic these days or how chivalry really is dying and I am actually blaming women. We don't force men to be romantic or chivalrous. We don't treat ourselves like we deserve to be pampered or we treat men like we don't need them because we can take care of it ourselves. Well, through the generations, men have gotten used to this. I don't need to learn how to dance and take my girl dancing because I can just stand on a club dance floor and have half naked women throwing themselves at me. I don't need to respect women because they don't need to respect themselves. Find a woman with class? Yeah right. What's that?

Too often, we blame men for what we are actually at fault for. If I act like a hooker, I will get treated like one. If I act like a woman who is desirable enough to pursue, then men will pursue me. And I don't mean men men. The only man I want to pursue me is my husband. But if I'm dressed like a bum all the time, then he wont be attracted to me. Let's face it ladies, men are visual. And it doesn't stop when they get married. If I look like a million bucks, you can bet your butt that my husband is going to be on my heals constantly. If I'm dressed like I crawled out of a cave, he tends to keep his distance. I have learned NOT to dress up when I know I'm going to be cooking if I want to get anything done. Looking good and adding food to the mix... any man melts. But too often today, we conduct ourselves in a way that tells men that we're either too easy or we're too much hassle or we don't need them.

This is a bit of a tangent to go off on while watching A White Christmas but these women are attractive. I know it's a movie but still... They're covered head to toe (except for the occasional dance costume), they carry themselves with self assurance, they're talented and they're ALIVE. They're singing and dancing and smiling and living life. I wish women were more like this today. Too often, we see women and girls that have no self esteem, who don't think they're worth real love and respect and they dress like prostitutes just to get men's attention. It's sad.

I wish I could dress like the women in this movie. It elicits so much more mystery and romance and elegance. Ok. Now can some one watch my 3 kids so I can get dressed and do my hair and make up?

Just kidding.

I'm going to get back to the movie now.



This Wannabe Supermom is going to start setting a better example for younger men and women, including my beautiful children, and do my very best to conduct myself in a way that exudes life and elegance and character and self respect.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this post! Modesty is so important and I really wish other females would stop making the rest of us look bad when they can't cover up. I love Emma Watson's quote on this:
    "Modest is Hottest, Ladies. I find the whole concept of being ‘sexy’ embarrassing and confusing. If I do an interview with photographs people desperately want to change me - dye my hair blonder, pluck my eyebrows, give me a fringe. Then there’s the choice of clothes. I know everyone wants a picture of me in a mini-skirt. But that’s not me. I feel uncomfortable. I’d never go out in a mini-skirt. It’s nothing to do with protecting the Hermione image. I wouldn’t do that. Personally, I don’t actually think it’s even that sexy. What’s sexy about saying, ‘I’m here with my boobs out and a short skirt, have a look at everything I’ve got?’ My idea of sexy is that less is more. The less you reveal the more people can wonder."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, I love that you're inspired to write a blog post while watching one of your favorite movies. I wish I could do the same. Unfortunately, the moment my rear end comes in contact with our couch, I'm drooling and snoring. Lol!

    So funny that you mention not dressing up if you have something in particular you need to get accomplished. I've found that when I'm on a tight schedule for the day, I'll intentionally avoid taking a shower or putting on makeup because I think I'll be less attractive to my hubby. Unfortunately, he's a total man and tells me I'd look beautiful and sexy even in a burlap bag. I'm not complaining, but goodness...some days I really need to get other things accomplished! Lol!

    ~Blessings,
    Rosann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Abby,

    You made me laugh. I'm now inspired to look my best at home thanks to you. (I'm currently wearing a large grey shirt and grey jogging pants- something you wouldn't approve of).

    Love your writing, very entertaining. Have a happy Christmas and awesome New Year.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just watched this ourselves yesterday! Such a favorite around here! Do you watch Holiday Inn every Christmas, too? "I'm Linda Mason..."

    And why can't men start wearing fedoras again??? Seriously. I'd start a collection to pay men to wear those fab hats once again...

    I found you through voice boks or whatever that place is called(can you tell I haven't done much with it yet??). Your name starts with an A which is as far as I got in the members tab cuz I'm a dork and need friends. :)

    Melyssa from www.thedazeofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget