Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Continued: Giving Gifts That Will Last A LIfetime

The last time I posted about "giving gifts that will last a lifetime", I spoke about teaching my daughters to have enough self respect and understanding their value so they don't follow suit of the women glorified in today's society and about wanting to teach my son what is truly attractive in a woman.

Today, I will continue talking about gifts to bestow upon my children but it wont be quite the same. This gift will help with the previous "gift". The gift of TIME is one of the most valuable things we can give our children. I mean, real, quality time doing things and investing your love and life into your kids.


It's been easy for me to say that I spend time with my kids because I'm a stay at home mom. I was convicted recently that although I'm in their constant presence, I don't SPEND TIME with them the way I should. I am always saying things like, "Sure, I'll color with you... when I'm done sweeping the floor and washing the dishes and changing poopy diapers and throwing that 15th load of laundry in." I am with my kids and taking care of them but not spending genuine time with them the way a loving mother should. I can't just take care of them. I need to pour my love into them. I can't give them gifts like self respect or role models for future wives or an ideal Christian woman if I don't spend time with them.


I've decided that each day, I need to set aside time that I spend doing something specific with them that is fun and that we can enjoy each other's company while we do it. Yesterday, we built "gingerbread" houses. I have to admit that I had a major brain fart with this project though. I decided to build these with the kids half an hour before their lunch time, which is generally immediately followed by nap time. Stupid, stupid idea. The kids ended up eating a good bit of the sugary decorations, causing them to not be hungry for lunch and way too wound up for a nap. Which, with the lack of nap and the severe crash after the sugar high made for a slightly stressful, whiny evening last night. I've learned my lesson. That is a mistake I will prayerfully never make again in my life. However, we at least had fun during the "building and decorating" process. I really enjoyed this time with the kids because we had Christmas music playing softly in the background and we actually got to talk to each other. My kids are only 3 and 2 (the nearly 6 month old baby was thankfully sleeping during all of this). But getting to talk to them is both enjoyable and entertaining. I got to appreciate the fact that my children's Sunday school teachers at church are getting through to my children. My daughter told me the story she was taught in Sunday school regarding the candy cane. We all sang songs that they've been learning in church. I found out that my kids aren't as excited about Santa as I thought they'd be. We got to SPEND TIME together and I think it was as good for me as it was for them.


This evening, after we've ALL cleaned together (they love helping me with the dishes which totally cracks me up since I hated doing the dishes as a kid), we're having a movie night, complete with warm jammies, popcorn (with m&m's in it) and hot chocolate. My parents gave the kids a set of those old Christmas movies, you know, the Santa and Rudolf and Frosty in clay-mation ones? The cool ones? I'm pretty sure I'm looking forward to it as much as they are. Breaking out the sleeping bags, turning off all the lights except the Christmas tree and snuggling together while watching movies. Sounds like a blast to me. And I'll be spending time with my kids.


There is only one person in all of history that has passed that I wish I could meet. Dad's mom. My grandmother. She died when he was 10 but he still talks about her as if she's been with him his whole life. He has always talked about her like she was this incredible, beautiful, passionate, hardworking, happy and fun woman. I wish I could have met her. She impacted him so much in 10 short years that he still to this day, over 40 years later, puts her on a pedestal. She invested in his life. I want to do that for my own children. I want to give them the gift of investing in their lives. I want to give them all the time I possibly can to impact them in a positive way that will last for the rest of their life.


You can not change your children's lives in a good way if you don't spend time with them. You can not make a positive difference in their mind and heart if you do not invest yourself and your love in them. And they really are an investment. They have futures. Their futures affect your own future (on this earth). Invest in your kids. Spend time with them. Give them gifts that will last a lifetime!
 
Merry Christmas.


My "molding" looks more like one of the kids did it.




This one belongs to my 2 yr old son. It's slightly chaotic, just like him :)



Can you see where my daughter swiped the icing with her finger?


1 comment:

  1. Economists have elaborated the economics of gift-giving into the notion of a gift economy. By extension the term gift can refer to anything that makes the other happier or less sad, especially as a favour, including forgiveness and kindness. Gifts are also first and foremost presented on occasions - birthdays and Christmas being the main examples.

    Sarah Khan
    PakGiftShop.com

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget