Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Yummy "Thank You"



Growing up, my pastor's wife, used to teach etiquette classes at the school I went to. As I got older, I joined a Bible study group that she led and she was always teaching us neat little things that would help us be better women.

One of the things that she taught us was to always say "thank you" with a gift or a card. She taught us to make "gratitude boxes" which carried an array of cards (greeting cards, thank you cards, birthday, sympathy etc.), pens and address books so that we never had to search for it all and eventually come up with an excuse to not thank some one for their acts of kindness. I still have one.

Teaching my kids to be thankful is important to me, especially since I am still to this day learning how valuable it is to living a healthy life. Since some one had recently done something nice for me, I wanted to thank her with some cookies and I wanted the kids to help.

We made cran-chocolate chip cookies.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Ingredients:

1 cup softened butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons hot water
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup craisins

Mix together the granulated and brown sugars with the softened butter until mixture is creamy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix the baking soda in with the hot water and salt so as to completely dissolve the baking soda. Then add that mixture to the sugar/butter mix. Slowly beat in the flour. Then add the craisins and chocolate chips until completely mixed.

Put cookie dough on a cookie sheet by the spoonful. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookie is fully cooked and becomes a beautiful pale golden color.

Best eaten when warm with a cup of cold milk (of course I saved some for us!).

Showing some one you appreciate their kindness is beneficial to all involved. Teaching your kids to be grateful and appreciative is something that they will take with them through their entire lives. It will enrich their lives. Isn't that one of our biggest jobs as parents? To make sure that our children have healthy, happy lives? Teach them to give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget