Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Potty Power

Oh man, oh man! I am so excited I could scream! Like I've mentioned before, I have no stinkin idea how to potty train a boy. All the well meaning advice and tips and suggestions stress me out. Tonight, I decided to give one a try and see how it went.

As usual of late, my son let me know that he needed his diaper changed. He does this cute but totally embarrassing thing where he pats his diaper and squeaks "POOP!" whether is a #1 or a #2. He's done it out in public several times and I'm pretty easily embarrassed so mortification sets in pretty quickly when I hear his high pitched announcement.

When talking to other mothers of little boys, the advice that I hear most often is to just let him run around commando. I honestly thought this was nuts. How is this supposed to encourage him to pee in the potty? He probably likes peeing in the open better than with a diaper on. However, tonight, instead of putting a new diaper on when he came running and squeaking at me, I decided to give it a try. I made sure that I wasn't super busy so that I could stop what I was doing in case of an accident. I made sure all the books were up off the floor and that the baby was in the swing and not on her blanket having tummy time.

As soon as he realized I wasn't putting a new diaper on him, he ran around the house screaming with excitement. Enjoying the breeze, I'm sure. I tell you, that poor kid has got some seriously skinny legs and I don't really ever realize it unless he's running around bare bottomed. With him running around with out protection though, I was pretty nervous. I've got two other kids and three dogs. I don't need any more messes and I was afraid that's what I'd have on my hands.

Nearly every 5 minutes, I asked him, "Do you need to go potty?" With out fail, every time, he answered, "Dah!" which is his way of saying "yeah". So we'd both run into the bathroom and I'd sit him on the seat on the toilet. I can't tell you how many times we were in there. Too many to count. Most of the time he just sat there and talked at me. Or pointed out Boots (its his sister's Dora potty seat that he was using). When my oldest would come in the bathroom to see how we were progressing, he'd scream at her just like she does him when he tries to follow her in there. Made me laugh.

However, out of all the times that we were in the bathroom, chatting on the potty, he peed twice. I almost cried. I was so excited. I think he got a little freaked out at first when I started yelling and cheering but then I think he got excited too. Needless to say, he got a lolly pop each time. My daughter got one too just because she helped me cheer him on.

But he did it! I was so proud of him for using the potty. Its the first time ever. And I know we still have a long way to go but we're going and that's better than not. Hopefully, I will soon only have one in diapers.

This Wannabe Supermom is strutting around in her three piece suit and cape happy as a clam and so proud of her little boy. Potty Power!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget