Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sometimes, Birthdays Come Early

 
 My son's birthday is October 8. He will be 2 years old. I can't believe he'll only be two. It feels like he's been a part of this family for much longer. Not to mention that he is growing so fast that he seems more like a little boy than a two year old. Yesterday, we celebrated his birthday. I know its weeks early but my husband will begin traveling for work very soon and we're not sure how often he'll be able to get home. Yesterday was our best opportunity to celebrate his birthday as a family. Since he is beyond obsessed with Cars, that was the theme for his birthday. We decorated, gave him half his presents, took him out to breakfast, watched movies with him and ended the day with a Cars cake.

I love birthday parties. I love being able to celebrate the people that I care about. I love any excuse to decorate and any time is a good time for cake. This year, we get to do it twice for my son. This little stinker holds a special place in my heart. First, he's my first born son (and probably the only one since I'm not in the mood to have any more kids). Then, his brush with death (I'm not being dramatic) taught me how quickly lives can come and go. He has kept me on my toes ever since. He is full of life and energy. He is the first of my kids to throw a full on temper tantrum in public. He's the first of my kids to punch another child. He's the first of my kids to stand up in the middle of a church service and scream at the top of his lungs. He's the first of my kids to jump out of a moving shopping cart. He's a handful. But he's my little boy. I love him to death. Beware to any girl that wants to date him. I'm his #1 and always will be (wink wink).

My parents always threw great parties for me as a kid. My mom made the coolest cakes. One year, my dad woke me up and said "Today, we are going to do whatever you want." We picked up some of my friends and we went to the zoo. I had more fun at my 16th birthday party than I've had at any one else's 16th birthday party and it wasn't the typical sweet 16. My parents rented a pavilion at the local park and we went paddle boating on the pond and played volley ball and I'm pretty sure it even rained a little. But I had a blast. That's how I want my kids to remember their birthdays. I don't want my kids to ever say, "I wish my mom threw cooler parties." Although we didn't and aren't having an actually party with people and kids and lots of games and gifts, we still had fun. We still celebrated the birth of our little boy in a way that he enjoyed.


Marble cake with whipped frosting from Walmart. The BEST!

This Wannabe Supermom is happy she has a son to celebrate and can't wait to celebrate him again in the years to come.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Early Birthday Anthony!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky kid! Based on this post, he got to celebrate early. The cake looks so cute, no doubt he enjoyed his celebration. Happy early B-day to your son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an awesome party!! I'm a sucker for Cars - I've decorated an entire bathroom in the theme and had several Cars themed parties.

    Happy early birthday Anthony!!

    New follower from voiceBoks - Christina

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget