Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Importance of Creativity

I'm terrible at math. When I was in college, I failed my math class not once, not twice but three times. I'm talking that I was so bad at the basic class that I tried taking the class that didn't even earn me credits so I could try to learn the basics. Yeah, tanked that one. I wondered why in the world I would need a math class if I was a Journalism major. When in the world was I going to use math in writing? I write. I know words and letters. You throw them in with numbers and then all sorts of funny symbols and I'm lost. Keep the numbers with numbers and use the letters to make words. I vocalized my question and always got the same response, "No matter what you do, you're going to need to know some math." Ok, so far, anything I've ever done, all I've needed regarding knowledge in math was what I learned in 2nd grade. However, I get what my teachers were saying.

No one emphasises the importance of creativity though. You hear that you need math. You need basic English. I love English but I have to say that I've never had to dissect a sentence in every day life. Whatever. Back to my point. I was never taught in school, except for in my art class, that creativity was something I would need constantly no matter what I was doing. I needed it when I was a waitress. I needed it while working at the Harley Davidson dealership. I needed it when working for a pool company. I need it as a stay at home mom.





Combine the need to be creative with the need for children to spend quality time doing something fun with their parents and you have at home art projects (Wait... did I just do math? Did I just have to add two things together to reach a result? A+B=C?). My kids love to do art projects. I want to encourage their artistic, creative sides as much as their athletic or intellectual sides. I think that being creative is just as important as the others.

Today we made pumpkins to go with our theme of decorating for fall.

We took 3 sheets of orange construction paper and cut them in half. I then stacked all the sheets together, drew a pumpkin on the top one and cut them all out at the same time.

After that, I let the kids take glitter glue and each decorate three pumpkins. Crayola sells these amazing glitter glues that are incredibly easy to clean up if things get out of hand.

When the glitter dried, we folded each pumpkin in half and put glue on each side. Then we glued the backs of all three pumpkins together, making one multidimensional pumpkin.

Outrageously easy and fun for the kids. No mess to clean up. Cute end result.

The kids and I got to spend time together and we had a blast. Also, we made some more adorable decorations for the house. Another sucess for this Wannabe Supermom.

4 comments:

  1. SO very VerY CUTE!!!
    poping in from vB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abby,

    I'm stopping by from VB. I LOVE that you are creative and you're passing that along to your kiddos! :) The pumpkins turned out very cute!

    Hope you're having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh,this is good..I love the idea of putting the creativity not only in ourselves but also in our children.. :) Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so fun! I love creativity. AND I love the pumpkins! I totally agree... they don't teach enough creativity in school. You know, I think that even math is something we would all learn better if it was done from a different angle. A creative, "figure this real life problem out" kind of way. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today. You have no idea how much you blessed me!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget