Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Yummy Baked Potato Chips

When did this become a cooking blog anyway?

I really love being in the kitchen. I love cooking and even more so, eating. Now I just have to learn to love exercising or this is all going to catch up with me in a very scary way.

Last night, we had sloppy joes for dinner and I decided to make some home made baked potato chips to go with them.

I started by boiling some water in a pot. While waiting for the water to boil, I peeled 5 small potatoes. I then sliced them up using my kitchenaid food slicer extension, the thick slicer (thanks Mom and Dad, by the way, for this amazing gift!). Once the water was boiling, I threw in the potato slices and boiled them for about 4 minutes. While the slices were boiling, I preheated the oven to 450. I then placed parchment paper on baking sheets and set them aside.

After the 4 minutes, I drained the potatoes and put them in a bowl. I then added 2 tablespoons of vegtable oil, 1
tablespoon of olive oil (I love olive oil), and then salt, pepper and paprika to taste. I personally don't add a lot of salt at this stage since I like to put it on later. I then mixed it all together using my bare hands and then placed the slices on the parchment paper. Single layer the slices so they can cook properly. Then they went in the oven.

I had to cook mine for about 40 minutes and I think that they could have gone a little longer to get some more of that beautiful golden color but they were cooked all the way through so it was all good. I placed two baking sheets in at once and they probably would have cooked better if I'd only placed one in at a time but I needed to get them all cooked in time for dinner so in they both went. I just recommend cooking them until they reach a color that looks nice and edible to you. After I pulled them out, while they were still piping hot, I seasoned them with sea salt.

I like baking them much better than putting them in my deep fryer because they're not super greasy this way. Also, this way, the seasoning stays on them better than if they were deep fried. I've heard all kinds of other seasoning ideas too: old bay, white pepper, garlic salt, oregano. It all depends on how you want them to taste. I liked mine just how they were.

They were a hit. Every one in the family loved them and they were easy and a fun way to eat potatoes with sloppy joes.


(I can't take credit for most of the techniques. I got the idea to boil them and use parchment paper to prevent sticking [non stick sprays can actually alter the flavor and tectsture of the food] from a food blog on foodbuzz.com. I don't remember which blog or I would totally provide the name to give credit where its due.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget