Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Wannabe Supermom Moonlighting as a Wannabe Extreme Couponer

Any mother is faced with great challenges on a daily basis. Which child is going to decide not to eat today? Who is going to dip barbie brushes into the Vick's vapor rub and brush their hair with it? Who's going to throw die cast cars over the balcony? Which appliance (or vehicle) is going to stop working right when its needed the most? Which dog is going to decide that the dining room table looks like a chew toy? You name it, a mother (or father) some where has encountered it. There is nothing new under the sun. Not even a stinky economy.

There's been a lot that's happened in this house since the beginning of 2011. Its had its ups and downs. To date, more chaos than harmony. But that's how life goes. You've got your good days and bad days. Good years and bad years. Please don't misunderstand me though. I'm not complaining. I'm just stating that here, some unpleasant things have occurred. We are taking it every day at a time, sometimes one second at a time.

I used to be a bargain hunter. When I was younger and didn't have a ton of money to spend, it was all about the sport of finding what I could get at the cheapest price. Once, I found a fabulous prom dress for $11. And I rocked it. In college, I once bought 4 pairs of shoes with a total cost of less than $25. I used to be good. Real good. And I was still pretty good at it but as time went on, I didn't have to worry so much about spending as it wasn't an issue. Going to the mall and blowing hundreds of dollars wasn't questioned. I'm not bragging about that part though. Whats to brag about being wastefull? Since the very end of January, I have had to be much more conscious of how we spend money. Since almost 2 weeks ago, even more so. I've decided to see this as a challenge though. Make it fun and not a stressful burden. I get a kick out of watching Extreme Couponing. I would love to be able to go to the store and buy over $1000 but only pay $50. How cool is that? I saw an episode of a woman who spent over that amount and was able to feed her family for over half the year on $50. Sounds like fun to me!

I'm starting out small though. I'm giving myself 1 week for this first challenge and I'm not setting any real specifics. I'm just going to do my best to get as many coupons and deals as I can through out the week. Then, next Saturday, I'll go shopping and see how little I can spend on a lot. Nothing crazy though. Just things I need. I have already been members of coupon/saving e-newsletters such as Southern Shoppers, Regular Mom and Krazy Coupon Lady. I recently signed up for a Kroger card, I get email coupons from Publix and CVS. I'm going to hunt for coupons and deals online as well as in mailers and the newspapers. I'm going to try to feed my family for the next few months on as little as possible.

Next Saturday, after I go shopping, I'll update on what coupons I used, how I got them, what I purchased, what I spent and what I saved. I think that part of being a Supermom is taking care of your family the best you can. Part of that is being wise with money. Since I am determined to be a Supermom, I am determined to reclaim my status as a Super Shopper as well.

Any tips or advice is more than welcome! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Try www.southernsavers.com. I always couponed, but got heavy into it when Jack was laid off 2 1/2 years ago. I learned to stockpile, so I would only buy stuff at its lowest price. I'll slurge on other stuff now, but I still can't bring myself to pay more than half price for pasta, cereal or freezer staples. :) And I joined Amazon Mom, so I can buy diapers and wipes for 30% off, plus they are delivered to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a guy at work that spend Shia whole weekend cutting coupons. He has actually had the store owe him 36 cents once. I've never figured out how to do that. The most I've ever saved on a grocery bill was $27. Let me know if you figure it ou.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget