Saturday, August 13, 2011

Updates

First things first. Coupon Hunting/Bargain Shopping/I Don't Have a Clue.

Well, I gave a lame attempt at the extreme couponing. The thing is, I wasn't really in need of anything and since I'm trying not to spend money on things I don't need, a lot of coupons were useless to me. I don't use any of those body washes, I don't eat pre-packaged meats (like chicken that's already cut up and in a bag... that stuff is just weird to me... unless its spicy chicken wings or something... but most of the time, its cheaper to buy actual chicken... whatever) or Greek yogurt. It was foolish of me to give myself this kind of challenge only because I had recently done my shopping. I buy my formula, wipes and diapers at SAMS club since I find that buying their brand is WAY cheaper and just as good as name brands. However, all after all this rambling, I did some shopping anyway. My husband's 16 year old cousin is going to be staying with us for a week so I did grab a few things to keep him fed in between all our regular meals.

Kroger has fantastic 10 for $10 deals. I got:
10 2 liter Pepsi products (Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Dr Pepper, Mt Dew)
10 Kroger brand frozen veggies. Fresh veggies tend to get wasted a lot in this house. So until my mini veggie garden gets up and running, frozen we are. But I got broccoli, a pepper and onion mix, spinach, Brussels sprouts and collard greens (hey, I AM in the south).
10 Ramen 6 packs. 5 chicken, 5 beef. That's 60 packs of Ramen for $10.

Then, I went to Publix.
I got Bertolli Pasta Sauces, buy one get one free. For two, I only paid $2.69.
Buying the Publix brand tortilla chips, I spent $3.11 opposed to the $4.99 for the Tostito brand.
I got 4 more 2 liters of soda, all Publix brand, for $2 (No one in this family drinks soda except my husband and lets just put it this way, he drank so much soda at a restaurant one time that they cut him off).
I bought egg noodles for making chicken noodle soup (I already have chicken and the veggies), Publix brand, and spent $1.99 instead of $3.19 for other brands.
We almost always have leftovers from dinner which we almost never eat later so I tried to buy pork chops in smaller portions. I got boneless pork loins that are smaller than a regular pork chop, I can get probably 3 meals from one pack. I got two packs for less than $8. That's roughly 5 to 6 meals right there. Not bad.

Moving on: My Wannabe Veggie Garden
I planted some more vegetables yesterday. Earlier this year, we bought a ton of garden soil t
hat we never used so I have been putting it to use lately. Along with the pots I had flowers in this spring that I quickly, but accidentally killed. Yesterday I planted carrots, spinach, bell peppers and green beans. I also have an update on my herbs and tomatoes. To the right is my tomatoes at 5 pm yesterday. Below is my tomatoes looked like at around 5:30 pm. At least he had fun.
 


 I was frantic. I picked up all the sprouts I could find off the ground and attempted to replant them. Its probably a hopeless effort but I wanted to see if I could try to salvage them. I want so badly to grow some tomatoes (come on! I see blt's, fried green tomatoes and home made tomato sauce in my future!). If my replanting doesn't work, I'll go buy more seeds and try again.

On the other hand, my window herbs are growing beautifully and I can't wait to start cooking with them. My cilantro is starting to grow those gorgeous fanned leaves that are the actual herb. I'm looking forward to some cilantro lime shrimp! The basil leaves are looking great also. I can't want to pair them with some of the tomatoes that will hopefully grow and mozzarella cheese with balsamic vinaigrette. Mmmmm! I can taste it now!

I am thinking about starting a cooking blog as well. I have recently acquired this outrageous desire to become a better cook. I absolutely love cooking even though I'm not that great at it. I have to thank my husband for being my guinea pig and for my parents and sister for supporting my endeavors. My parents have gotten me most of my cooking appliances like my crock pot, different extensions for my kitchenaid mixer, mini grills and presses and my breadmaker. My sister got me a subscription to Bon Apetite magazine which is my absolute new favorite piece of reading material. She also gave me one of her text books on cooking from one of her college classes. The thing is huge. Its full of all these fancy terms and techniques and recipes. My husband at least tries everything I cook. He is a braver person than I am and he is always kind to me.

I want to keep this blog about my adventures of parenting and mother hood. I love being a mom and a wife more than anything else. Nothing in life appeals to me or makes me happier than my family. They keep me on my toes though and sometimes it makes for an amusing story or a small piece of guidance for others. I plan to post again later on one of my most recent adventures.

Thanks for tuning in for more on this Wannabe Supermom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget