Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Homemade Granola Bars



A friend of mine posts on facebook often that she and her kids are eating home made granola bars fresh out of the oven. I'm always so jealous. It just sounds good. Warm granola bars. And a glass of milk. At first, when I read her status for the first time I was like, "Who the heck has time to make their own granola bars?" Then I remembered who my friend was and I remembered, "Oh, freakin Supermom does!" She really is a Supermom... I have no idea how she accomplishes some of the things she does and still seems so positive. I asked her for the recipe and she gave me one from allrecipes.com. I love this site. Their mobile app has this cool spinner that helps you pick out dishes based upon the type of meal, the main ingredient and how you want to cook it. Its my go to for everything.

The recipe she gave me, I'd still like to try but I didn't use this time. It required wheat germ and I have no idea what that is. I looked for it at several different grocery stores anyway but had no luck. Perhaps I should have googled it. Anyway, based upon collaborations of some of the other recipes, I built my own. I'm eating some now and its pretty darn yummy.

My Recipe:
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup of a granola mix (rolled oats, cherries, vanilla, and sunflower seeds)
1/3 cup of sliced almonds
2 tbs melted butter
1/2 craisins
1/4 cup raisins
8 ounces of buttermilk
1 1/2 tbs brown sugar

Mix it all together and throw it in the oven at 350 degrees. Mine cooked for about 25 minutes. If you want yours crunchier, leave them in longer.

They're pretty darn good. The kids loved them. I like that making these were cheaper than buying granola bars. Also, these are much healthier and personally, I thought they tasted better. I also like that I can make whatever kind I want. I think that next time, I'll use craisins, chocolate chips and some coconut. I think the hubby will love those. They're pretty filling too so giving small pieces to kids at snack times will work really well.

Mmmm. These are so stinking good. This Wannabe Supermom is stuffed and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget