Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Bye Bye Baby

My oldest daughter started her first year of preschool yesterday. She is now 3 years old. She was so excited about going that she put on her book bag and sat in front of the front door for at least 30 minutes before it was time to leave. I love that she is excited about being in school. I cried when I dropped her off even though this will be her 3 year at this school. It was really different this time for some reason. She's suddenly very shy, even though almost all the kids in her class are friends from last year, some from even the year before too. Plus, she'll be there 5 days a week instead of just 2. I miss her like crazy already and its only day 2. I've got about an hour before I go pick her up and I'm counting down the minutes. Even though my son and my other daughter are home with me, the house feels so much quieter with out her here. It makes me antsy.

My son will start his first day of the year tomorrow. He'll be in the "Wonderful Ones" even though he'll be two in October. He missed the cutoff date for his age by 1 week. Its a little crazy to me that he can't move up to the next age group but I'm almost glad because although he can DO anything and everything, he still can't verbally communicate very well. So maybe its for the best. If it feels like the house is quiet with my oldest gone, its going to feel like the universe is empty with out him here. He's loud. He's hyper. He's constantly getting into everything. He loves picking on his older sister already. He's all boy. Tomorrow will be weird.

They both attend the same Baptist academy and they use the same curriculum that was taught at the school I grew up in (really grew up in... kindergarten through 12th grade). They both have the same teachers as last year and I couldn't be happier about that. I loved their teachers and they both did too. Its nice knowing and trusting the people that will be taking care of your children.

We initially enrolled my daughter in this school because we had just moved, I didn't know a soul, I was pregnant and my husband traveled for work. I was alone the majority of the time and because I was pregnant, didn't feel like going out and making the effort to make friends. So putting her in a school where she could make her own friends and learn at the same time seemed like a great idea. I got the advertisement from the school off a Papa John's pizza box. She started school that fall and we haven't looked back. Next year, I will enroll the baby.

Some may argue that putting kids in school this young, especially when I'm a stay at home mom, is foolish. Why spend the money when I'm home all day? If I'm not watching my kids, what am I doing? They wont learn anything anyway. We spend the money because its an investment. When my kids are in school, I'm cleaning, cooking, running errands, taking care of anything that my husband needs me to do and taking care of our three dogs. Running a household IS a job! And both of them have learned things that I didn't teach them. They've learned how to interact with others, their pledge of allegiance, music, games, stories, etc. They're learning how to build relationships too, which I think is incredibly under rated in this society.

I feel blessed that I'm able to put my kids in school. I feel blessed that I'm a stay at home mom. Me putting my kids in a school is part of my journey as a Wannabe Supermom. I am doing what I believe to be best for them now and their future. No one will change my mind on this.

Here's to being blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget